A Brief History
February 1941, two years after the start of World War II, 323 (Epsom and Ewell) Squadron was formed. We spent our first 15 years as a squadron at Hessle Grove Grammar School, known today as Glyn School for Boys, before moving to the Army Reserve Base at Welbeck Close, Ewell.
When we first moved to the Army Reserve Base, our squadron was merely a portacabin in the compound. However, as we have continued to grow over the years, we have now taken residence in one of the main buildings on the compound, above the Territorial Army. Our squadron now includes two classrooms, a main officer area, a main common room, a large military stores, and a fully functional flight simulator room funded by the National Lottery.
In 2016 we celebrated our 75th anniversary as a Squadron in the Air Training Corps, a huge milestone for any unit to reach. But here at 323 the sky is the limit, so we are determined to reach our 100th Anniversary.
Our Motto, Ex Unitate Firmitudo, is what drives us to be the best. We always take pride in what we do, and never settle for second best. Having such enthusiastic cadets is what has allowed us to grow and prosper into the squadron we are today, with our cadets frequently winning a number of competitions held throughout the year, with our most successful being sport. Thanks to the hard work and dedication of all our cadets and staff, we were awarded the Best Squadron Award for Surrey Wing in 2016, an award we plan to keep for years to come.